Bunions and Their CausesSo, first of all, let us see exactly what a Bunion is. A Bunion is a bony bump, which you have noticed forming on the base of your big toe. Why?, because your big toe is being pushed against the other toes or squeezed which forces the joint to enlarge and stick out. Bunionettes are similar but they mostly occur on your little toe and may be noticed on other toes. There are a few causes to Bunions, but the most likely culprit is your footwear which is squeezing against your big toe and causing too much pressure.
- Genetics – You may be genetically predisposed to developing Bunions, which means if other members of your family have Bunions, you may be likely to have them too.
- Arthritis – Rheumatoid arthritis cause pain and inflammation in the joints which may lead to Bunions, similarly Gout and Psoriasis can also lead to deformities in this area of the toe and foot.
- Other Condistions – There are many other health and foot conditions that may increase your chances of developing Bunions, these include neuromuscular conditions such as cerebral palsy and Marfan syndrome. Then there are also conditions related to loose ligaments, flexible joints, and low muscle tone.
- Footwear – Last and the MAIN cause of Bunions generally is poorly fitting and improper shoes. Shoes that are too tight may rub against your big toe joints, causing irritation and Bunions to form, a high heeled shoe pushes your feet forward and squeezes them in the front part of the shoe as well as narrow and tight-fitting shoes that squeeze your toes and forefoot and bend the big toe joints and cause bunions. The excess pressure on the nerves of the feet may also lead to much pain and discomfort.
Treating and Preventing BunionsAs we have now discussed so far, your main cause of Bunions is improper and poorly fitting shoes, so addressing this issue will already make a huge difference, other than that here are a few do’s and don’t’s for Bunion treatment.
- Always try to maintain a normal weight as weigh can have an effect on the shape and health of your feet.
- You can protect Bunions with moleskin or gel-filled pads and use shoe inserts to position your feet appropriately inside your shoes.
- Ice packs and heat treatment can help to alleviate pain, and anti-inflammatory medication will help to ease the pain and inflammation.
- ALWAYS buy shoes that fit well and do not squeeze your feet, rather opt for a roomier toe.
- AVOID pointy toe and narrow fitting shoes, as well as HIGH HEELS and Stilettos
Features of a Good Sandal For Bunions
- Try to opt for a closed and more protective style toe or sandals with straps that make your Bunions less visible.
- A comfortable and supportive footbed with cushioning will prevent pressure and excess strain on your feet.
- Smooth and comfortable uppers straps will reduce pressure and friction.
- Op for a roomier toe box area and a more adaptable and customizable fit.
- A durable rubber outsole will provide a better grip and help to absorb shock.
Reviews: The Best Sandals for BunionsHere are our top choices in the best available sandal if you have Bunions;
- Nubuck leather uppers with mesh inserts for breathability and a bungee lacing system for a more adjustable fit.
- The toe area is closed and very roomy to accommodate foot deformities and conditions such as Bunions.
- Designed for tough terrains and to be very durable with the Terra-Float active technology.
- The outdoor adventure and all-terrain outsole is durable and offers superb slip resistance on wet and uneven surfaces.
- A very breathable and still protective design ideal for walking.
- Durable and soft textile uppers and a more sporty style.
- The upopers mainly consist of double Strapped jacquard wevving form polyester that wraps around the foot and midsole for a more comfortable fit.
- Ther is a LUVSEAT PU footbed for cushioned comfort and antimicrobial treated and odor control lining.
- The webbing heel risers are very durable and completely adjustable.
- A durable Non-Marking ChacoGrip, Rubber outsole.
- Dark brown genuine leather two strap uppers with buckle closures that are appealing and offer an adjustable fit.
- A lug rubber outsole for better grip on all surfaces.
- Deep heel cup for stability and heel support.
- Hugging arch support for more natural foot alignment.
- Cushioned footbed for further comfort,
- Features an Open Cell PU footbed and cushion soft padding on the inside.
- A durable Pu outsole for better traction, with a slightly elevated heel.
- Adjustable Riptape Straps, for a customized fit.
- Lightweight and Breathable synthtic uppers that are flexible and comfortable with a smooth lining.
- Available in a wider width and other color options to choose from.
- Soft and supple leather uppers from Full Grain Nubuck Leather as well as a textile elasticated strap for an easy on and of and more comfortable fit.
- Strategically placed Flexible Grooves for flexibility.
- Helps with more even weight distribution.
- A BioBevel beveled design toe and heel for natural balance and stability.
- Comfortable Wider width design and soft cushioned padding.
- Available in a few color options to choose from.
- This is the perfect l sandals to alleviate back, knee and heel pain, as well as accommodating wider feet, and deformities such as Bunions, hammertoes, and corns.
- An Ortho-Cushioning system that is lightweight with an air cushioned sole.
- Shock absorbing and supportive to reduce pressure on painful Bunions
- A smooth and comfortable seamless interior design with extra depth and availability in wider widths, to accommodate Bunions.
- Durable and thick rubber sole for shock absorbency and traction on all floor surfaces.
Index Table: Top Rated Bunion Sandals
|1||Teva Women's Terra Float - Fisherman’s Sandal for Walking||Teva||97.8|
|2||Chaco Women's ZCloud - Sporty Bunion Sandals||Chaco||98|
|3||MBT Women's - Leather Slide On Bunion Sandals||MBT||98|
|4||Clarks Women's Arla Jacory - Fashionable Sandal for Bunions||Clarks||-|
|5||Hushpuppies Women's Lyricale - Sandal for Bunions||Hushpuppies||98|
|6||Orthofeet Women's Naples - Fisherman’s Sandal for Bunions||Orthofeet||97|
Table of Contents
- Bunions and Their Causes
- Treating and Preventing Bunions
- Features of a Good Sandal For Bunions
- Reviews: The Best Sandals for Bunions
- Teva® Women's Terra Float Fisherman’s Sandal for Walking
- Chaco® Women's ZCloud Sporty Bunion Sandals
- MBT® Women's Leather Slide On Bunion Sandals
- Clarks® Women's Arla Jacory Fashionable Sandal for Bunions
- Hushpuppies® Women's Lyricale Sandal for Bunions
- Orthofeet® Women's Naples Fisherman’s Sandal for Bunions
- Index Table: Top Rated Bunion Sandals